- Harvest new potatoes once they start to flower.
- Tie in raspberries to support as they grow.
- Summer prune redcurrants (new tips back to second outward facing bud)
- Summer prune plums and other stone fruits.
- Thin apple and pear crop to two or three fruits per cluster.
- Plant out the following: cabbage, sprouts, broccoli,runner beans, french beans, cucumbers, courgettes, squash, leeks and (peppers in a sheltered spot)
- Sow the following seeds outside: runner beans, french beans, radish, lettuce, courgettes, pak choi, kohl rabi, turnip, swede, spinach, coriander. Carrots can be sown if the soil has reached
at least 12°C.
- Protect brassicas from butterflies and pigeons!
- Check tomato plants to 'pinch out' suckers that develop in the crotch joint (the part where the leaf emerges from the stem). Water regularly twice weekly at this early stage, more frequently as
the weather heats up. Irregular watering can cause fruit problems.
- Peg down strawberry runners to make new plants.
- Harvest garlic and lift onions a little to begin drying